Louis Vuitton is the icon of luxury and a bag purchase from this brand usually represents a milestone in your life. Luxury brands have hefty price tags; therefore, your Louis Vuitton handbag purchase should be researched beforehand – here is key information you should consider before purchasing.
1. Do Your Research
Buy from a trusted reseller so you can be sure your purchase is authentic.
2. Think Long-Term
“When choosing your textile, Vernis (patent leather) is less likely to hold up over time and is prone to discoloration and dye transfer. Coated canvas and Epi leather will hold up better.”
3. Go Classic
“Select a style you’ll love now and 10 years from now, like this timeless monogram Speedy bag.”
4. Consider Cost Per Wear
“Can you picture yourself wearing this bag for multiple occasions and getting lots of use out of it? While you can snag a bag at up to 90% off resale, there’s still a sizable price tag attached to the most desirable items. Make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck by choosing a versatile accessory that complements your style.”
5. Know How to Spot a Fake
1. “Bags should not be lined in genuine suede/pigskin. Authentic linings include coated canvas, canvas, cross-grain leather, Vuittonite, and Alcantara.”
2. “Note the stitching. This should be clean and even, and there should be the same number of stitches on any given part of two bags of the same style. Generally, the thread will be a heavy wax-coated linen fiber, not thin or weak. The thread will be yellow or brown on almost all classic styles.”
3. “Look for an even pattern. Generally speaking, the monogram pattern should line up over seams and flaps and should be symmetrical from side to side. The pattern should be oriented the same way among bags of any particular style. (However, there are exceptions, especially with older styles!)”
4. “Locate the ‘made in’ stamp. Authentic Louis Vuitton bags should say Louis Vuitton and indicate the country of origin. Since the country can vary, ensure that the factory ID in the date code aligns with the country of origin noted on the bag.
5. “Smell it! One major giveaway of a fake bag is a strong chemical odor.”